Re: Best practice and expected benefits of using separate WAL and DB devices with Bluestore

Hi Niklaus,

Lots of questions here but let me tray and get through some of them.

Personally unless a cluster is for deep archive then I would never suggest configuring or deploying a cluster without Rocks DB and WAL on NVME.
There are a number of benefits to this in terms of performance and recovery. Small writes go to the NVME first before being written to the HDD and it makes many recovery operations far more efficient.

As to how much faster it makes things that very much depends on the type of workload you have on the system. Lots of small writes will make a significant difference. Very large writes not as much of a difference.
Things like compactions of the RocksDB database are a lot faster as they are now running from NVME and not from the HDD.

We normally work with  a upto 1:12 ratio so 1 NVME for every 12 HDD’s. This is assuming the NVME’s being used are good mixed use enterprise NVME’s with power loss protection.

As to failures yes a failure of the NVME would mean a loss of 12 OSD’s but this is no worse than a failure of an entire node. This is something Ceph is designed to handle.

I certainly wouldn’t be thinking about putting the NVME’s into raid sets as that will degrade the performance of them when you are trying to get better performance.

Darren Soothill

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io/

croit GmbH, Freseniusstr. 31h, 81247 Munich
CEO: Martin Verges - VAT-ID: DE310638492
Com. register: Amtsgericht Munich HRB 231263
Web: https://croit.io/ | YouTube: https://goo.gl/PGE1Bx