Re: Call for Interest: Managed SMB Protocol Support

On Thursday, April 11, 2024 9:35:28 AM EDT Ralph Boehme wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I've finally came around to finish the database client driver for Samba
> to talk to Ceph via Python librados and implement some changes that do
> improve performance compared to the one from Samuel I used last year:
>
> <https://git.samba.org/?p=slow/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/dbwrap_py>
>
> I'm doing my testing and benchmarking on a very basic Ceph cluster and I
> would *love* to run benchmarks against a more beefy cluster and not a
> single server partitioned into VMs also lacking decent storage...
>
> By chance, do you have such a thing accessible and would be able to run
> a few benchmark? Anyone else interested? :)
>
> It's a bit more involved as it also requires a few more VMs used as SMB
> client and clustered Samba...
>
> Cheers!
> -slow

I haven't done much perf testing myself, as I usually get by with a "few vms
on a laptop" approach. There may be some opportunities to run things in the
ceph sepia lab but I would have to ask around first as I typically only use it
to run teuthology tests on smithi nodes.

Do you have a deadline?

Rather than route this discussion through me, it may make sense for you to
join the `#sepia` channel on ceph's slack instance. (go to https://ceph.io/en/
community/connect/ and scroll all the way to the bottom for a link to join the
slack instance)  and discuss what opportunities / restrictions there are with
the real experts :-)