Re: Large number of misplaced PGs but little backfill going on

Hi Torkil,

Thanks for the update. Even though the improvement is small, it is
still an improvement, consistent with the osd_max_backfills value, and
it proves that there are still unsolved peering issues.

I have looked at both the old and the new state of the PG, but could
not find anything else interesting.

I also looked again at the state of PG 37.1. It is known what blocks
the backfill of this PG; please search for "blocked_by." However, this
is just one data point, which is insufficient for any conclusions. Try
looking at other PGs. Is there anything too common in the non-empty
"blocked_by" blocks?

I think we have to look for patterns in other ways, too. One tool that
produces good visualizations is TheJJ balancer. Although it is called
a "balancer," it can also visualize the ongoing backfills.

The tool is available at
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TheJJ/ceph-balancer/master/placementoptimizer.py

Run it as follows:

./placementoptimizer.py showremapped --by-osd | tee remapped.txt