Re: Why a lot of pgs are degraded after host(+osd) restarted?

Hi Jaemin,

It is normal for PGs to become degraded during a host reboot, since a
copy of the data was taken offline and needs to be resynchronized
after the host comes back. Normally this is quick, as the recovery
mechanism only needs to modify those objects that have changed while
the host is down.

However, if you have backfills ongoing and reboot a host that contains
OSDs involved in those backfills, then those backfills become
degraded, and you will need to wait for them to complete for
degradation to clear. Do you know if you had backfills at the time the
host was rebooted? If so, the way to avoid this is to wait for
backfill to complete before taking any OSDs/hosts down for
maintenance.

Josh