Re: CephFS space usage

Hi,

Not sure if it was mentioned but also you could check the following:

1. Snapshots
Snapshots can consume a significant amount of space without being
immediately obvious. They preserve the state of the filesystem at various
points in time.
List Snapshots: Use the "*ceph fs subvolume snapshot ls*" command to list
all snapshots for a given subvolume. You can also use "*ceph fs ls*" to
list the filesystems and then inspect each one for snapshots.

2. Replication Overhead (as Etienne M. has mentioned)
Depending on your pool's replication or erasure coding settings, the actual
storage usage could be multiple times the size of the stored data.
Check Pool Settings: Use "ceph osd pool get <pool_name> size" to check the
replication factor. For erasure-coded pools, check with "ceph osd pool get
<pool_name> erasure_code_profile" .

3. Use ceph df and ceph osd pool stats
These commands give you an overview of storage utilization and I/O
statistics, respectively.

Disk Usage: "ceph df" can help identify how much space is being used by
different pools.
Pool Stats: "ceph osd pool stats" might give insights into read/write
operations, which could hint at heavy snapshot usage or other anomalies.

Orphaned data blocks, which are not linked to any file but still occupy
space, can also be a culprit.

Just my 2 cents,
Bogdan Velica.