Re: Performance improvement suggestion

On 04/03/2024 15:37, Frank Schilder wrote:
Fast write enabled would mean that the primary OSD sends #size copies to the
entire active set (including itself) in parallel and sends an ACK to the
client as soon as min_size ACKs have been received from the peers (including
itself). In this way, one can tolerate (size-min_size) slow(er) OSDs (slow
for whatever reason) without suffering performance penalties immediately
(only after too many requests started piling up, which will show as a slow
requests warning).

What happens if there occurs an error on the slowest osd after the min_size ACK has already been send to the client?

This should not be different than what exists today..unless of-course if
the error happens on the local/primary osd
Can this be addressed with reasonable effort? I don't expect this to be a quick-fix and it should be tested. However, beating the tail-latency statistics with the extra redundancy should be worth it. I observe fluctuations of latencies, OSDs become randomly slow for whatever reason for short time intervals and then return to normal.

A reason for this could be DB compaction. I think during compaction latency tends to spike.

A fast-write option would effectively remove the impact of this.

Best regards and thanks for considering this!

i think this is something the rados devs need to say. it does sound worth investigating. it is not just for cases with db compaction but more importantly the normal(happy) io path as it will have the most impact.