Dropping focal for squid

Found this mention in the CLT Minutes posted this morning[1], of a discussion on ceph-dev[2] about dropping ubuntu focal builds for the squid release, and beginning builds of quincy for jammy to facilitate quincy->squid upgrades.

> there was a consensus to drop support for ubuntu focal and centos
> stream 8 with the squid release, and i'd love to remove those distros
> from the shaman build matrix for squid and main branches asap
>
> however, i see that quincy never supported ubuntu jammy, so our quincy
> upgrade tests still have to run against focal. that means we'd still
> have to build focal packages for squid
>
> would it be possible to start building jammy packages for quincy to
> allow those upgrade tests to run jammy instead?

Just wanting to voice my support for this, as this both seems to match the historical ceph:ubuntu cadence going back roughly a decade, and helps facilitate a narrow upgrade window for ubuntu users to get to jammy.

+----------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| ceph     | u14 | u16 | u18 | u20 | u22 | u24 |
+----------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| jewel    | +   | +   | -   | -   | -   | -   |
| luminous | +   | +   | -   | -   | -   | -   |
| mimic    | -   | +   | +   | -   | -   | -   |
| nautilus | -   | +   | +   | -   | -   | -   |
| octopus  | -   | -   | +   | +   | -   | -   |
| pacific  | -   | -   | +   | +   | -   | -   |
| quincy   | -   | -   | -   | +   | M   | -   |
| reef     | -   | -   | -   | +   | +   | -   |
| squid    | -   | -   | -   | -   | E   | E   |
But going back to both jewel/10 and Ubuntu 14.04/trusty, there has been a consistent 4 ceph releases per ubuntu LTS release, with a dist drop/add every two releases.
This gives ample window for users to upgrade ubuntu and ceph at a reasonable pace.
However with quincy not being built for jammy (M=missing), this broke the trend and forced anyone looking to get to jammy to have to go all the way to reef, which they may not be ready to do just yet.
Running the table out to the T release and ubuntu 24.04/noble, following this trend, it would be expected (E=expected) that squid would be built for jammy (and eventually noble), and the same would be true for the T release.

Many words to say that as a user this would be beneficial to me, and likely others.

Reed

[1] https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/thread/SI3KZTU6GLGEHWICVDZLQEKWUSVKYQHG/ <https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/thread/SI3KZTU6GLGEHWICVDZLQEKWUSVKYQHG/>
[2] https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/dev@xxxxxxx/thread/ONAWOAE7MPMT7CP6KH7Y4NGWIP5SZ7XR/ <https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/dev@xxxxxxx/thread/ONAWOAE7MPMT7CP6KH7Y4NGWIP5SZ7XR/>