Re: Ceph as rootfs?

My €0.02 for what it's worth(less).

I've been doing RBD-based VMs under libvirt with no problem. In that
particular case, the ceph RBD base images are being overlaid cloud-
style with a an instance-specific qcow2 image and the RBD is just part
of my storage pools.

For a physical machine, I'd probably be content to use the Ceph NFS
share for the OS and PXE boot itself. I could always mount a ceph
filesystem once the OS was up if I wanted to.

If I'm not mistaken, getting ceph to boot directly would require a
custom ramdisk with ceph driver installed, whereas an NFS-supporting
ramdisk is pretty much off-the-shelf. Since ceph-ganesha NFS seems
pretty reliable and performant, I'd be happy with that.

   Tim