Re: Debian 12 (bookworm) / Reef 18.2.1 problems

Hi,

Just looking back through PyO3 issues, it would appear this functionality was never supported:

https://github.com/PyO3/pyo3/issues/3451
https://github.com/PyO3/pyo3/issues/576

It just appears attempting to use this functionality (which does not work/exist) wasn't successfully prevented previously, and is now. I see a few PRs in associated projects (such as bcrypt) where they attempted to rollback (example):

https://github.com/pyca/bcrypt/pull/714

This will restore functionality to the way it was before (not sure if the same exists for other libraries) but they are basically stop-gaps until proper support exists in PyO3, which may or may not happen in the near future. It sounds like the rollbacks are being considered if the upstream issue isn't resolved in some undefined timeline.

I just wanted to add this information to further the discussion, as I know it does not resolve your immediate problem(s). It sounds like we need to discuss the reliance on PyO3 if this is necessary functionality from the library which isn't actually implemented but was just permitted in error and has an undefined or ill-defined target date of resolution (sounds like a large upstream project). I don't pretend to know the complexities around an alternative implementation, but it seems worth at least a cursory investigation, as behavior right now (prior to the blocking change) may be somewhat undefined even if not throwing errors, according to the above PyO3 issues.

David