Debian 12 (bookworm) / Reef 18.2.1 problems

I was delighted to see the native Debian 12 (bookworm) packages turn up in Reef 18.2.1.

We currently run a number of ceph clusters on Debian11 (bullseye) / Quincy 17.2.7. These are not cephadm-managed.

I have attempted to upgrade a test cluster, and it is not going well. Quincy only supports bullseye, and Reef only supports bookworm, we are reinstalling from bare metal. However I don't think either of these two problems are related to that.

Problem 1
--------------

A simple "apt install ceph" goes most of the way, then errors with

Setting up cephadm (18.2.1-1~bpo12+1) ...
usermod: unlocking the user's password would result in a passwordless account.
You should set a password with usermod -p to unlock this user's password.
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/home/cephadm/.ssh’: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package cephadm (--configure):
 installed cephadm package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ceph-mgr-cephadm:
 ceph-mgr-cephadm depends on cephadm; however:
  Package cephadm is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package ceph-mgr-cephadm (--configure):

The two cephadm-related packages are then left in an error state, which apt tries to continue each time it is run.

The cephadm user has a login directory of /nonexistent, however the cephadm --configure script is trying to use /home/cephadm (as it was on Quincy/bullseye).

So, we aren't using cephadm, and decided to keep going as the other packages were actually installed, and deal with the package state later.

Problem 2

I upgraded 2/3 monitor nodes without any other problems, and (for the moment) removed the other Quincy monitor prior to rebuild.

I then shutdown the remaining Quincy manager, and attempted to start the Reef manager. Although the manager is running, "ceph mgr services" shows it is only providing the restful and not the dashboard service. The log file has lots of the following error:

ImportError: PyO3 modules may only be initialized once per interpreter process

and ceph -s reports "Module 'dashboard' has failed dependency: PyO3 modules may only be initialized once per interpreter process

Questions

1. Have the Reef/bookworm packages ever been tested in a non-cephadm environment? 2. I want to revert this cluster back to a fully functional state. I cannot bring back up the remaining Quincy monitor though ("require release 18 > 17"). Would I have to go through the procedure of starting over, and trying to rescue the monmap from the OSDs? (OSDs and an active MDS are still up and running Quincy). I'm aware that process exists but have never had to delve into it.

Thanks, Chris