Re: cephfs inode backtrace information

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 5:03 AM Dietmar Rieder
<dietmar.rieder@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding the default pool of a cephfs.
>
> According to the docs it is recommended to use a fast ssd replicated
> pool as default pool for cephfs. I'm asking what are the space
> requirements for storing the inode backtrace information?

The actual recommendation is to use a replicated pool for the default
data pool. Regular hard drives are fine for the storage device.

> Let's say I have a 85 TiB replicated ssd pool (hot data) and as 3 PiB EC
> data pool (cold data).
>
> Does it make sense to create a third pool as default pool which only
> holds the inode backtrace information (what would be a good size), or is
> it OK to use the ssd pool as default pool?

Assuming your 85 TiB rep ssd pool is the default data pool already, use that.

(I am curious why this question is asked now when the file system
already has a significant amount of data? Are you thinking about
recreating the fs?)

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His