Re: Best way to replace Data drive of OSD

Hi,

in such a setup I also prefer option 2, we've done this since lvm came into play with OSDs, just not with cephadm yet. But we have a similar configuration and one OSD starts to fail as well. I'm just waiting for the replacement drive to arrive. ;-)

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von "Robert W. Eckert" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi - I have a drive that is starting to show errors, and was wondering what the best way to replace it is.

I am on Ceph 18.2.1, and using cephadm/containers
I have 3 hosts, and each host has 4 4Tb drives with a 2 tb NVME device splt amongst them for WAL/DB, and 10 GB Networking.

Option 1: Stop the OSD, use dd to copy from old to new, remove old, reboot so LVM recognized new as the volume that old was. Option 2: LVM and mirror the old drive to the new, then remove the old, once the mirroring is complete. In this way, I don't have to remove and reprovision the OSD, and the OSD doesn't need to be down during any Option 3: Remove the OSD, let everything settle down, swap the drive, fight the orchestrator to get the OSD provisioned with the OSD and db partition on the proper partition of the NVME, then let everything sync up again.

I am leaning towards Option 2, because it should have the least impact/overhead on the rest of the drives, but am open to the other options as well.

Thanks,
Rob