Re: Memory footprint of increased PG number

I was going through the hardware recommendations for a customer and wanted to cite the memory section from the current docs [1]:

Setting the osd_memory_target below 2GB is not recommended. eph may fail to keep the memory consumption under 2GB and extremely slow performance is likely. Setting the memory target between 2GB and 4GB typically works but may result in degraded performance: metadata may need to be read from disk during IO unless the active data set is relatively small. 4GB is the current default value for osd_memory_target This default was chosen for typical use cases, and is intended to balance RAM cost and OSD performance. Setting the osd_memory_target higher than 4GB can improve performance when there many (small) objects or when large (256GB/OSD or more) data sets are processed. This is especially true with fast NVMe OSDs.

And further:

We recommend budgeting at least 20% extra memory on your system to prevent OSDs from going OOM (Out Of Memory) during temporary spikes or due to delay in the kernel reclaiming freed pages.

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/start/hardware-recommendations/#memory

Zitat von Eugen Block <eblock@xxxxxx>:

Hi,

I don't think increasing the PGs has an impact on the OSD's memory, at least I'm not aware of such reports and haven't seen it myself. But your cluster could get in trouble as it already is, only 24 GB for 16 OSDs is too low. It can work (and apparently does) when everything is calm, but during recovery the memory usage spikes. The default is 4 GB per OSD, there have been several reports over the years where users couldn't get their OSDs back up after a failure because of low memory settings. I'd recommend to increase RAM.

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von Nicola Mori <mori@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Dear Ceph user,

I'm wondering how much an increase of PG number would impact on the memory occupancy of OSD daemons. In my cluster I currently have 512 PGs and I would like to increase it to 1024 to mitigate some disk occupancy issues, but having machines with low amount of memory (down to 24 GB for 16 OSDs) I fear this could kill my cluster. Is it possible to evaluate the relative increase in OSD memory footprint when doubling the number of PGs (hopefully not a linear scaling)? Or is there a way to experiment without crashing everything?
Thank you.