Re: Nautilus - Octopus upgrade - more questions

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023, 8:19 PM Dave Hall <kdhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Nautilus cluster built using Ceph packages from Debian 10
> Backports, deployed with Ceph-Ansible.
>
> I see that Debian does not offer Ceph 15/Octopus packages.  However,
> download.ceph.com does offer such packages.
>
> Question:  Is it a safe upgrade to install the download.ceph.com packages
> over top of the buster-backports packages?

It "should" be: Debian packages are upstream builds with minimal changes
(e.g. security patches and various changes to conform with Debian
standards). The latter are straight upstream builds.

Nothing in life is certain, though!

If so, the next question is how to deploy this?  Should I pull down an
> appropriate version of Ceph-Ansible and use the rolling-upgrade playbook?
> Or just apg-get -f dist-upgrade the new Ceph packages into place?

Someone with ceph-ansible experience can probably provide a more resounding
"yes" on the former approach - but I imagine so. Maybe you need to apt-get
update first... not sure?

There are issues with running straight up apt-get dist-upgrade in certain
configurations. You are unlikely to lose data, but Ceph upgrades are more
nuisanced that just apt-get dist-upgrading everything (e.g. IIRC Debian and
maybe upstream downloads.ceph.com builds have postinst hooks that reboots
Ceph daemons immediately -- you'd want to be careful about this and keep it
in mind). You also probably want to minimally set noout during upgrades to
prevent RADOS from trying to recover unnecessarily if something goes awry.

The docs on the latter approach are about as good as it gets:
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/octopus/#upgrading-from-mimic-or-nautilus