Re: Hardware recommendations for a Ceph cluster

> AFAIK the standing recommendation for all flash setups is to prefer fewer
> but faster cores

Hrm, I think this might depend on what you’re solving for.  This is the conventional wisdom for MDS for sure.  My sense is that OSDs can use multiple cores fairly well, so I might look at the cores * GHz product.  Especially since this use-case sounds like long-tail performance probably isn’t worth thousands.  Only four OSD servers, Neutron, Kingston.  I don’t think the OP has stated any performance goals other than being more suitable to OpenStack instances than LFF spinners.

> so something like a 75F3 might be yielding better latency.
> Plus you probably want to experiment with partitioning the NVMEs and
> running multiple OSDs per drive - either 2 or 4.

Mark Nelson has authored a series of blog posts that explore this in great detail over a number of releases.  TL;DR: with Quincy or Reef, especially, my sense is that multiple OSDs per NVMe device is not the clear win that it once was, and just eats more RAM.  Mark has also authored detailed posts about OSD performance vs cores per OSD, though IIRC those are for one OSD in isolation.  In a real-world cluster, especially one this small, I suspect that replication and the network will be bottlenecks before either of the factors discussed above.

ymmv.