Re: VM hangs when overwriting a file on erasure coded RBD

Hi all,

I would like to follow up on this, it turns out that overwriting the file doesn't actually hang, but is just super slow, like several minutes. The process is busy in a syscall reading large amounts of what I'm assuming is filesystem metadata until the operation finally completes.

The thing is this VM has been randomly creating, deleting, overwriting, reading etc random files on a 25TB image for almost 2 years. The image has been around 50% full. I have copied all the data to a new image (new fs) and things are working fast again, so I don't think this is ceph's fault any more. Instead it looks like something that over time broke with ext4.

Sending this to the list in case someone else has a similar problem in the future.

/Peter