Re: rgw: strong consistency for (bucket) policy settings?

Yes, it's also strongly consistent.  It's also last writer wins, though, so
two clients somehow permitted to contend for updating policy could
overwrite each other's changes, just as with objects.

Matt

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 2:21 PM Matthias Ferdinand <mf+ml.ceph@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while I don't currently use rgw, I still am curious about consistency
> guarantees.
>
> Usually, S3 has strong read-after-write consistency guarantees (for
> requests that do not overlap). According to
>     https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/dev/radosgw/bucket_index/
> in Ceph this is also true for per-object ACLs.
>
> Is there also a strong consistency guarantee for (bucket) policies? The
> documentation at
>     https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/radosgw/bucketpolicy/
> apparently does not say anything about this.
>
> How would multiple rgw instances synchronize a policy change? Is this
> effective immediate with strong consistency or is there some propagation
> delay (hopefully on with some upper bound)?
>

> Best regards
> Matthias

Matt Benjamin
Red Hat, Inc.