From: Reed Dier <reed.dier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2023 1:16 PM
To: Yuri Weinstein
Cc: ceph-users
Subject:  Re: Pacific 16.2.14 debian Incomplete

This is more the sentiment that I was hoping to convey.

Sure, I have my finger on the pulse of the mailing list and the packages coming down the pipe, but assuming that everyone does and/or will is not a safe assumption.
At the minimum, publishing the versioned repos at $repourl/debian-16.2.14 but not cutting the symlink over for  $repourl/debian-pacific until “ready” seems like a very easy and useful release process improvement to prevent these specific issues going forward.

Likewise, $repourl/rpm-pacific is already pointing to $repourl/rpm-16.2.14 as well, so its not a debian specific issue, albeit it looks like there were no issues with missing packages on el8.
But the packages were still “pre-released” before we are supposed to use them.

Anything making it to $repourl/{deb,rpm}-$named_release should be “safe.”
Because the documentation<https://docs.ceph.com/en/pacific/install/get-packages/#configure-repositories-manually> uses the named repos, as it should, and right now the documentation is effectively broken.

ubuntu@mini-pacific:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ceph.list ; sudo apt update | grep ceph ; sudo apt install ceph ceph-osd ceph-mon ceph-mgr
deb https://download.ceph.com/debian-pacific/ focal main

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

Hit:5 https://download.ceph.com/debian-pacific focal InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 ceph-mgr : Depends: ceph-base (= 15.2.17-0ubuntu0.20.04.4) but it is not going to be installed
 ceph-mon : Depends: ceph-base (= 15.2.17-0ubuntu0.20.04.4) but it is not going to be installed
 ceph-osd : PreDepends: ceph-common (= 15.2.17-0ubuntu0.20.04.4) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: ceph-base (= 15.2.17-0ubuntu0.20.04.4) but it is not going to be installed

Reed