Re: Can ceph-volume manage the LVs optionally used for DB / WAL at all?

Hi,

I'm still not sure if we're on the same page.

By looking at https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/man/8/ceph-volume/#cmdoption-ceph-volume-lvm-prepare-block.db it seems that ceph-volume wants an LV or partition. So it's apparently not just taking a VG itself? Also if there were multiple VGs / devices , I likely would need to at least pick those.

ceph-volume creates all required VGs/LVs automatically, and the OSD creation happens in batch mode, for example when run by cephadm:

ceph-volume lvm batch --yes /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

In a non-cephadm deployment you can fiddle with ceph-volume manually, where you also can deploy single OSDs, with or without providing your own pre-built VGs/LVs. In a cephadm deployment manually creating OSDs will result in "stray daemons not managed by cephadm" warnings. Before we upgraded to Pacific we did manage our block.db devices manually with pre-built LVs, e.g.:

$ lvcreate -L 30G -n bluefsdb-30 ceph-journals
$ ceph-volume lvm create --data /dev/sdh --block.db ceph-journals/bluefsdb-30

Sorry for the confusion. I was not talking about any migrations, just the initial creation of spinning rust OSDs with DB or WAL on fast storage.

So the question is, is your cluster (or multiple clusters) managed cephadm? If so, you don't need to worry about ceph-volume, it will be handled for you in batch mode (you can inspect the ceph-volume.log afterwards). You just need to provide a yaml file that fits your needs with regards to block.db and data devices.