Re: Can ceph-volume manage the LVs optionally used for DB / WAL at all?

Hi,

if you deploy OSDs from scratch you don't have to create LVs manually, that is handled entirely by ceph-volume (for example on cephadm based clusters you only provide a drivegroup definition). I'm not sure if automating db/wal migration has been considered, it might be (too) difficult. But moving the db/wal devices to new/different devices doesn't seem to be a reoccuring issue (corner case?), so maybe having control over that process for each OSD individually is the safe(r) option in case something goes wrong.

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von Christian Rohmann <christian.rohmann@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hey ceph-users,

I was wondering if ceph-volume did anything in regards to the management (creation, setting metadata, ....) of LVs which are used for
DB / WAL of an OSD?

Reading the documentation at https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/man/8/ceph-volume/#new-db is seems to indicate that the LV to be used as e.g. DB needs to be created manually (without ceph-volume) and exist prior to using ceph-volume to move the DB to that LV? I suppose the same is true for "ceph-volume lvm create" or "ceph-volume lvm prepare" and "--block.db"

It's not that creating a few LVs is hard... it's just that ceph volume does apply some structure to the naming of LVM VGs and LVs on the OSD device and also adds metadata. That would then be up to the user, right?

Regards

Christian