Re: MON sync time depends on outage duration

Hi,

I think we found an explanation for the behaviour, we still need to verify it though. Just wanted to write it up for posterity. We already knew that the large number of "purged_snap" keys in the mon store is responsible for the long synchronization. Removing them didn't seem to have a negative impact in my test cluster, but don't want to try that in production. They also tried a couple of variations with mon_sync_payload_size but it didn't have a significant impact (it impacted a few other keys, but not the osd_snap keys). We seemed to hit the payload_keys limit (default 2000), we'll suggest to increase it and hopefully find a suitable value. But it still didn't explain the variations in the sync duration. So we looked deeper (also dived into the code) and finally got some debug logs we could analyse. The paxos versions determine if a "full sync" is required or a "recent sync" is sufficient:

if (paxos->get_version() < m->paxos_first_version &&
	m->paxos_first_version > 1) {
      dout(10) << " peer paxos first versions [" << m->paxos_first_version
	       << "," << m->paxos_last_version << "]"
	       << " vs my version " << paxos->get_version()
	       << " (too far ahead)"
	       << dendl;

So if the current version of the to-be-synced mon is lower than the first available version of the peer it starts a full sync, otherwise a recent sync is started. In one of the tests (simulating a mon reboot) the difference between paxos versions was 628. I checked the available mon config options and found "paxos_min" (default 500). This will be the next suggestion, increase paxos_min to 1000 so the cluster doesn't require a full sync after a regular reboot and only do a full sync in case it's down for a longer period of time. Not sure what other impact it could have except for some more storage consumption, but we'll let them test it. But this still doesn't explain the variations in the startup times. My current theory is that the duration depends on the timing of the reboot/daemon shutdown: The rbd-mirror is currently configured with a 30 minute schedule. This means that every full and every half hour new snapshots are created and synced, older snapshots are deleted which impacts the osdmap. So if a MON goes down during this time it's very likely that its paxos version will be lower than the first available on the peer(s). So if a reboot is scheduled after the snapshot schedule the mon synchronisation time probably will decrease. This also needs some varification, still waiting for the results.

From my perspective, those two config options (mon_sync_payload_keys, paxos_min) and rebooting a MON server at the right time are the most promising approaches for now. Having the mon store on SSDs would help as well, of course, but unfortunately that's currently not an option.

I'll update this thread when we have more results, maybe my theory garbage, but I'm confident. :-) If you have comments or objections regarding those config options, I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Eugen

Zitat von Josh Baergen <jbaergen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Out of curiosity, what is your require_osd_release set to? (ceph osd
dump | grep require_osd_release)

Josh