Re: Issues in installing old dumpling version to add a new monitor

Hey,

in case building from source does not work out for you, here is a
strategy we used to recover older systems before:

- Create a .tar from /, pipe it out via ssh to another host
  - basically take everything with the exception of unwanted mountpoints
- Untar it, modify networking, hostname, ceph config, etc.
  - When this is done you have a directory usable as root filesystem suitable on your new monitor
- Prepare a new disk using (s)fdisk and friends, filesystem, etc.
- Copy/tar over the new filesystem
- Add the bootloader to the disk (likely grub or lilo in our case)
- Add disk into the new monitor, boot from it

This is by far not the cleanest method and it is easy to forget to
change old configurations from the source host, but in case you cannot
get the binaries from anywhere else, this is a known way for recovery.

We have various scripts that we use for bootstrapping servers, checkout
[0] for instance which contains most steps from above.

I wish you good success for recovering - we are still running some
Nautilus clusters, which are also due for upgrade, so I can feel your
situation.

Best regards,

Nico

[0] https://code.ungleich.ch/ungleich-public/ungleich-tools/src/branch/master/alpine-install-on-disk.sh