Seeking feedback on Improving cephadm bootstrap process

Dear ceph community,

As you are aware, cephadm has become the default tool for installing Ceph
on bare-metal systems. Currently, during the bootstrap process of a new
cluster, if the user interrupts the process manually or if there are any
issues causing the bootstrap process to fail, cephadm leaves behind the
failed cluster files and processes on the current host. While this can be
beneficial for debugging and resolving issues related to the cephadm
bootstrap process, it can create difficulties for inexperienced users who
need to delete the faulty cluster and proceed with the Ceph installation.
The problem described in the tracker https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/57016 is
a good example of this issue.In the cephadm development team, we are
considering ways to enhance the user experience during the bootstrap of a
new cluster. We have discussed the following options:1) Retain the cluster
files without deleting them, but provide the user with a clear command to
remove the broken/faulty cluster.
2) Automatically delete the broken/failed ceph installation and offer an
option for the user to disable this behavior if desired.Both options have
their advantages and disadvantages, which is why we are seeking your
feedback. We would like to know which option you prefer and the reasoning
behind your choice. Please provide reasonable arguments to justify your
preference.Your feedback will be taken into careful consideration when we
work on improving the ceph bootstrap process.Thank you,
Redouane,
On behalf of cephadm dev team.