Re: [multisite] Resetting an empty bucket

Hi Yixin,

This sounds interesting.  I kind of suspect that this feature requires some
more conceptual design support.  Like, at a high level, how a bucket's
"zone residency" might be defined and specified, and what policies might
govern changing it, not to mention, how you direct things (commands? ops?).

This might be something to bring to an RGW upstream call (the "refactoring"
meeting), Wednesdays at 11:30 EST.

Matt

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 5:27 PM Yixin Jin <yjin77@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Armed with bucket-specific sync policy feature, I found that we could move
> objects of a bucket between zones. It is migration via sync followed by
> object removal at the source. This allows us to better utilize available
> capacities in different clusters/zones. However, to achieve this, we need a
> way to reset an empty bucket so that it can serve as a destination for a
> migration after it serves as a source before. ceph/rgw currently doesn't
> seem to be able to do that. So I create a feature request for it
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/59593
>
> My own prototype shows that this feature is fairly simply to implement and
> works well for bucket migration.
>
> Cheers,
> Yixin

Matt Benjamin