Re: Live migrate RBD image with a client using it

Hi,

the docs you mentioned also state:

All clients using the source image must be stopped prior to preparing a live-migration. The prepare step will fail if it finds any running clients with the image open in read/write mode. Once the prepare step is complete, the clients can be restarted using the new target image name. Attempting to restart the clients using the source image name will result in failure.

So I don't think you can live-migrate without interruption, at least not at the moment.

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von Work Ceph <work.ceph.user.mailing@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hello guys,

We have been reading the docs, and trying to reproduce that process in our
Ceph cluster. However, we always receive the following message:

```

librbd::Migration: prepare: image has watchers - not migrating

rbd: preparing migration failed: (16) Device or resource busy

```

We tested with both RDB blocks mounted with kRBD, and with librbd via
KVM/qEMU system. Both cases result in the same result. For KRBD, we
understood that it is not supported right now, but for librbd it seems that
it should be supported somehow.

How do you guys handle those situations?

We have the following use cases that might need an image to migrate between
pools while the client is still consuming it.

   - RBD images that are consumed via the iSCSI gateways
   - RBD images mounted (rbd map) in hosts
   - RBD images used by KVM/Libvirt

Does Ceph support a live migration of images between pools while the
clients/consumers are still using those volumes?

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/rbd/rbd-live-migration/