Re: compiling Nautilus for el9

> > > Is it possible to compile Nautilus for el9? Or maybe just the osd's?
> > >

> > I was thinking of updating first to el9/centos9/rocky9 one node at a
> time, and after that do the ceph upgrade(s). I think this will give me
> the least intrusive upgrade path.
> >
> > However that requires the availability of Nautilus el9 rpms. I have
> been trying to build them via https://github.com/ceph/ceph and via
> rpmbuild ceph.spec. And without applying to many 'hacks', currently I
> seem to get around 30%-50%(?) of the code build[1] (albeit with quite
> some warnings[2]). This leads me to believe that it is most likely
> possible to build these for el9.
> >
> > Obviously I prefer to have someone with experience do this. Is it
> possible someone from the ceph development team can build these rpms for
> el9? Or are there serious issues that prevent this?
>
> I would say, any such untested hacks of an EOL release are too risky

Yes I agree, that is why I would like to have input of the development team. Currently I am able to build ceph although building rpms from ceph.spec fails (missing binaries)
I think this upgrade path could be nice for a lot of clusters still sitting on el7.

current hacks are
- building from local boost
- disabling some things in cmake
- downgraded librabbitmq 0.9.0 for el9

I also have the impression that el8 is quite close to el9, otherwise I would have ran into more issues.

> from the sysadmin perspective. My preferred approach would be to
> migrate to containerized Ceph Nautilus at least temporarily

I don't want to migrate to podman, I already have different container system.

> (ceph-ansible can do it), then upgrade the hosts to EL9 while still
> keeping Nautilus, then, still containerized, upgrade to a more recent
> Ceph release (but note that you can't upgrade from nautilus to Quincy
> directly, you need Octopus or Pacific as a middle step), and then

I would like to wait a bit with the pacific upgrade, until this performance problem is clear/solved. I can't spent to much time on checking if this influences my workload badly.