Re: compiling Nautilus for el9

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 9:00 PM Marc <Marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Is it possible to compile Nautilus for el9? Or maybe just the osd's?
> >

> I was thinking of updating first to el9/centos9/rocky9 one node at a time, and after that do the ceph upgrade(s). I think this will give me the least intrusive upgrade path.
>
> However that requires the availability of Nautilus el9 rpms. I have been trying to build them via https://github.com/ceph/ceph and via rpmbuild ceph.spec. And without applying to many 'hacks', currently I seem to get around 30%-50%(?) of the code build[1] (albeit with quite some warnings[2]). This leads me to believe that it is most likely possible to build these for el9.
>
> Obviously I prefer to have someone with experience do this. Is it possible someone from the ceph development team can build these rpms for el9? Or are there serious issues that prevent this?

I would say, any such untested hacks of an EOL release are too risky
from the sysadmin perspective. My preferred approach would be to
migrate to containerized Ceph Nautilus at least temporarily
(ceph-ansible can do it), then upgrade the hosts to EL9 while still
keeping Nautilus, then, still containerized, upgrade to a more recent
Ceph release (but note that you can't upgrade from nautilus to Quincy
directly, you need Octopus or Pacific as a middle step), and then
optionally undo the containerization (but I have never tried this on
Quincy).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov