Re: PG Sizing Question

> By the sounds of it, a cluster may be configured for the 100 PG / OSD target; adding pools to the former configuration scenario will require an increase in OSDs to maintain that recommended PG distribution target and accommodate an increase of PGs resulting from additional pools.

To be clear, 100 or 200 or any other number is a target, not a precise goal.  In the past one could increase the number of PGs in a given pool but not decrease; with Nautilus we got the ability to decrease.

So if you forsee adding more pools, you either just add them and the effective ratio increases a bit, or adjust some existing pools down.  Adding OSDs does have the effect of reducing the number of PGs per (absent other topology changes at the same time).  So if you think you’re going to be adding pools, maybe aim lower rather than higher.