Re: PG Sizing Question

Thank you for this perspective Anthony.

I was honestly hoping the autoscaler would work in my case, however I had less than desired results with it.   On 17.2.5 it actually failed to scale as advertised.   I had a pool created via the web console, with 1 PG, then kicked off a job to migrate data.   Understandably the cluster wasn't optimal with several tens of terabytes in this pool with 1 PG.   So I've been manually scaling since.   I am using 12Gbit/s SAS spinners on variants of 6Gbit/s or 12Gbit/s backplanes.   Either way, 4-6Gbit/s of throughput per OSD is designed in with each OSD node.

Memory (assuming monitors) is something that can be adjusted as well.   I did notice that with many pools (10+) and a total target of 100 PGs / OSD across the cluster, it's somewhat difficult to attain an even distribution across all OSDs, leaving some running warmer than others in terms of capacity utilization leading to risk of prematurely filling up.

I was hoping the guidance would be per pool vs. cluster wide for PG / OSD.  If this is indeed the recommended spec, I'll have to rethink the pools we have and their purpose / utilization.  Looking forward to additional perspectives, best practices around this.  By the sounds of it, a cluster may be configured for the 100 PG / OSD target; adding pools to the former configuration scenario will require an increase in OSDs to maintain that recommended PG distribution target and accommodate an increase of PGs resulting from additional pools.