Re: Migrate a bucket from replicated pool to ec pool

hi Boris,

On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 7:07 AM Boris Behrens <bb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> we use rgw as our backup storage, and it basically holds only compressed
> rbd snapshots.
> I would love to move these out of the replicated into a ec pool.
>
> I've read that I can set a default placement target for a user (
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/octopus/radosgw/placement/). What does happen to
> the existing user data?

changes to the user's default placement target/storage class don't
apply to existing buckets, only newly-created ones. a bucket's default
placement target/storage class can't be changed after creation

> How do I move the existing data to the new pool?

you might add the EC pool as a new storage class in the existing
placement target, and use lifecycle transitions to move the objects.
but the bucket's default storage class would still be replicated, so
new uploads would go there unless the client adds a
x-amz-storage-class header to override it. if you want to change those
defaults, you'd need to create a new bucket and copy the objects over

> Does it somehow interfere with ongoing data upload (it is one internal
> user, with 800 buckets which constantly get new data and old data removed)?

lifecycle transitions would be transparent to the user, but migrating
to new buckets would not