Re: Inconsistency in rados ls

Thank you for your email and for providing the solution to check for shadow
and multipart objects in CEPH. I have checked the objects in my CEPH
cluster and found the following results:

The command rados -p <pool> ls | grep --text -vE "shadow|multipart" | wc -l
returns about 80 million objects.
The command radosgw-admin user stats --uid <user> 2>/dev/null | jq -r
'.stats | select(.num_objects > 0) | .num_objects' returns 889684340
objects, including all buckets for all users.
The data match and are sensible, but I still encounter an inconsistency
when trying to get objects per PG with the rados command. The sum of all
objects in all PGs without shadow and multipart objects is 18 million.

It appears that the S3 objects are stored in the RADOS layer as follows:
Small objects (less than 4 MB) are stored in RADOS without any prefix. If
an object is larger, it is split into multiple objects, each one 4 MB, and
the remaining part (less than 4 MB) is stored as a shadow file. However, in
any case, all S3 objects have a corresponding object in RADOS as a header
that holds the metadata of the object.

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/4177821

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions or if there is
anything else I can assist with.