Re: Problems with autoscaler (overlapping roots) after changing the pool class

Hi,

what you can’t change with EC pools is the EC profile, the pool‘s ruleset you can change. The fix is the same as for the replicates pools, assign a ruleset with hdd class and after some data movement the autoscaler should not complain anymore.

Regards
Eugen

Zitat von Massimo Sgaravatto <massimo.sgaravatto@xxxxxxxxx>:

Dear all

I have just changed the crush rule for all the replicated pools in the
following way:

ceph osd crush rule create-replicated replicated_hdd default host hdd
ceph osd pool set  <poolname> crush_rule replicated_hdd

See also this [*] thread
Before applying this change, these pools were all using
the replicated_ruleset rule where the class is not specified.

I am noticing now a problem with the autoscaler: "ceph osd pool
autoscale-status" doesn't report any output and the mgr log complains about
overlapping roots:

 [pg_autoscaler ERROR root] pool xyz has overlapping roots: {-18, -1}

Indeed:

# ceph osd crush tree --show-shadow
ID   CLASS  WEIGHT      TYPE NAME
-18    hdd  1329.26501  root default~hdd
-17    hdd   329.14154      rack Rack11-PianoAlto~hdd
-15    hdd    54.56085          host ceph-osd-04~hdd
 30    hdd     5.45609              osd.30
 31    hdd     5.45609              osd.31
 -1         1329.26501  root default
 -7          329.14154      rack Rack11-PianoAlto
 -8           54.56085          host ceph-osd-04
 30    hdd     5.45609              osd.30
 31    hdd     5.45609              osd.31

I have already read about this behavior but  I have no clear ideas how to
fix the problem.

I read somewhere that the problem happens when there are rules that force
some pools to only use one class and there are also pools which does not
make any distinction between device classes

All the replicated pools are using the replicated_hdd pool but I also have
some EC pools which are using a profile where the class is not specified.
As far I understand, I can't force these pools to use only the hdd class:
according to the doc I can't change this profile specifying the hdd class
(or at least the change wouldn't be applied to the existing EC pools)

Any suggestions ?

The crush map is available at https://cernbox.cern.ch/s/gIyjbQbmoTFHCrr, if
you want to have a look

Many thanks, Massimo