Re: What to expect on rejoining a host to cluster?

On 12/5/22 10:32, Frank Schilder wrote:
Hi Matt,

I can't comment on balancers, I don't use them. I manually re-weight OSDs, which fits well with our pools' OSD allocation. Also, we don't aim for perfect balance, we just remove the peak of allocation on the fullest few OSDs to avoid excessive capacity loss. Not balancing too much has the pro of being fairly stable under OSD failures/additions at the expanse of a few % less capacity.

Maybe someone else an help here?

Try JJ's Ceph balancer [1]. In our case it turned out to be *way* more efficient than built-in balancer (faster conversion, less movements involved). And able to achieve a very good PG distribution and "reclaim" lot's of space. I Highly recommended it.

Gr. Stefan

[1]: https://github.com/TheJJ/ceph-balancer