OMAP data growth

We have a large cluster (10PB) which is about 30% full at this point.  We recently fixed a configuration issue that then triggered the pg autoscaler to start moving around massive amounts of data (85% misplaced objects - about 7.5B objects).  The misplaced % is dropping slowly (about 10% each day), but the overall data usage is growing by about 300T/day even though the data being written by clients is well under 30T/day.

The issue was that we have both 3x replicated pools and a very large erasure-coded (8+4) data pool for RGW.  autoscaler doesnt work if it sees what it thinks are overlapping roots ("default" vs "default~hdd" in the crush tree, even if both refer to the same OSDs, they have different ids: -1 vs -2).  We cleared that by setting the same root for both crush rules and then PG autoscaler kicked in and started doing its thing.

The "ceph osd df" output shows the OMAP jumping significantly and our data availability is shrinking MUCH faster than we would expect based on the client usage.

Questions:

  *   What is causing the OMAP data consumption to grow so fast and can it be trimmed/throttled?
  *   Will the overhead data be cleaned up once the misplaced object counts drop to a much lower value?
  *   Would it do any good to disable the autoscaler at this point since the PGs have already started being moved?
  *   Any other recommendations to make this go smoother?

thanks!