OSDs do not respect my memory tune limit

Hi,

my OSDs are running odroid-hc4's and they only have about 4GB of memory,
and every 10 minutes a random OSD crashes due to out of memory. Sadly the
whole machine gets unresponsive when the memory gets completely full, so no
ssh access or prometheus output in the meantime.

After the osd successfully crashed and restarts, and the memory is free
again, i can look into the machine again.

I've set the memory limit very low on all OSDs:

for i in {0..17} ; do sudo ceph config set osd.$i osd_memory_target
939524096 ; done

which is the absolute minimum, about 0.9GB.

Why are the OSDs not respecting this limit? I tried enforcing the memory
limit with the docker container by appending -m3200M to the docker run
command, which helps with the unresponsiveness when the memory goes full.
The linux kernel now kills the ceph-osd process earlier when only few
memory resources are left.

How can I make the ceph-osd not crash anymore? Decreasing pg_num and
pgp_num on my only cephfs pool did not work, the number is still high after
setting to 16.

Best regards