Re: MDS internal op exportdir despite ephemeral pinning

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 4:45 AM Frank Schilder <frans@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> thanks for your explanation. Is there a way to check which directory is exported? For example, is the inode contained in the messages somewhere? A readdir would usually happen on log-in and the number of slow exports seems much higher than the number of people logging in (I would assume there are a lot more that go without logging).

You can set debugging to 4 on the MDS and you should see messages for
each export. Or you can monitor subtrees on your MDS by periodically
running `get subtrees` command on each one.

> Also, does an export happen for every client connection? For example, we have a 500+ node HPC cluster with kernel mounts. If a job starts on a dir that needs to be loaded to cache, would such an export happen for every client node (we do dropcaches on client nodes after job completion, so there is potential for reloading data)?

The export only happens once the directory is loaded into cache.

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His