Scheduled RBD volume snapshots without mirrioring (-schedule)

Dear List

I'm searching for a way to automate the snapshot creation/cleanup of RBD volumes. Ideally, there would be something like the "Snapshot Scheduler for cephfs"[1] but I understand
this is not as "easy" with RBD devices since ceph has no idea of the overlaying filesystem.

So what I basically need is:

- Create a snapshot of RBD image X, every N hours
- Cleanup/thin-out snapshots which are older than Y
- I do not care about mirroring
- I do not care about possible filesystem inconsistencies

Is there a way to accomplish such a behavior within ceph or do I have to relay on external scripts (If yes, is anyone aware of such a script?)

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/cephfs/snap-schedule/

Many thanks in advance

Tobias