Re: How does client get the new active ceph-mgr endpoint when failover happens?

Hi,

do clients (as in ceph clients like rbd/cephfs/rgw) connected to the mgr at all? IMHO the clients only need to be able to connect to the mon (host list in ceph.conf / DNS SRV entries) and osd (osd map in mons).

If certain clients need to retrieve data from the mgr (e.g. cephfs-top, rbd iostat), I would assume they will use the mgr map from the mons, which will be updated if the active mgr changes. I'm not sure whether these clients use permanent connections (which will need to be reestablished if mgr changes), or whether they will work with a request-reply-model.

Regards,

Burkhard Linke