Re: ceph deployment best practice

On 9/14/22 11:54, Janne Johansson wrote:
Den ons 14 sep. 2022 kl 11:08 skrev gagan tiwari
<gagan.tiwari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Yes. To start with we only have one HP server with DAS. Which I am planning to set up as ceph on. We can have one more server later.

But I think you are correct. I will use ZFS file systems on it and NFS export all the data to all clients.  So, please advise me whether to I use RAID6 with ZFS / NFS or not.

I already did in my first reply:

"A smaller point is that for both zfs and ceph, it is not advisable to
first raid the separate drives and then present them to the
filesystem/network, but rather give zfs/ceph each individual disk to
handle it at a higher level."

Put your HBA in "IT" mode if possible (disk passthrough). No caching, etc.

I would recommend to enable compression if it makes sense for the type of data you want to store. Newer (Open)ZFS is better. zstd is arguably the best compression algorithm to use.

If you don't need Ceph, in this case I 100% agree with Janne, use ZFS where you can. Awesome tech with its own use case(s).

Gr. Stefan