Re: Ceph Mgr/Dashboard Python depedencies: a new approach

> Isn't this one of the reasons containers were pushed, so that the
> packaging isn't as big a deal?
> Is it the continued push to support lots of distros without using
> containers that is the problem?

apache httpd and openssh sshd are able to support lots of distros without using containers, so do many others. I do not see any problem with this.

>    - *Use new/er Python packages:* that are not available in all distros
>    (e.g.: fastapi), or which are available but in very disparate
> versions (and
>    hence with different feature sets, resulting in spaghetti code and
>    complicating test matrices),

>    - *Improve security and quality*: contrary to common belief, the
> distro
>    package approach does not intrinsically ensure a more secure,
> maintained
>    environment, just a stable one. Many non-standard Python packages
> come from

Yes there is reasoning behind this of distro's not? So you are presented with packages that have some sort of qualification to be stable and secure.

My idea is that developers should use these packages and not others. Because it is outside of the scope of some developer to get involved in package selection, that is the job of maintainers of distro's.

Currently I still have more confidence in people doing what is their core business, than people hacking on some code finding a quick fix library and jamming this into a repository.

PS.
Is this now an official redhat statement, that the advantages of using rhel distro are in decline?