Re: Changing the cluster network range

Hi,

some years ago we changed our setup from a IPoIB cluster network to a single network setup, which is a similar operation.

The OSD use the cluster network for heartbeats and backfilling operation; both use standard tcp connection. There is no "global view" on the networks involved; OSDs announce their public and private network (if present) via an update to the OSD map on OSD boot. OSDs expect to be able to create TCP connections to the announced IP addresses and ports. Mon and mgr instances do not use the cluster network at all.

If you want to change the networks (either public or private), you need to ensure that during the migration TCP connectivity between the old networks and the new networks is possible, e.g. via a route on some router. Since we had an isolated IPoIB networks without any connections to some router, we used one of the ceph hosts as router. Worked fine for a migration in live production ;-)

Regarding the network size: I'm not sure whether the code requires an exact CIDR match for the interface. If in doubt, have a look at the source code

As already mentioned in another answer, most setups do not require an extra cluster network. It is extra effort both in setup, maintenance and operating. Unless your network is the bottleneck you might want to use this pending configuration change to switch to a single network setup.

Regards,

Burkhard Linke