Re: What is client request_load_avg? Troubleshooting MDS issues on Luminous

On 8/15/22 11:00, Frank Schilder wrote:
Hi Chris,

I also have serious problems identifying problematic ceph-fs clients (using mimic). I don't think that even in the newest ceph version there are useful counters for that. Just last week I had the case that a client caused an all-time peak in cluster load and I was not able to locate the client due to the lack of useful rate counters. There are two problems with ceph fs' load monitoring.

There have been improvements in this area. See this tracker (and the related issues mentioned in this tracker): https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/43215

TL:DR Pacific and newer MDS, and newish kernel clients should give you way more insight (I haven't had the time to look into this, but will do on a test cluster running pacific).

Gr. Stefan