Re: What is client request_load_avg? Troubleshooting MDS issues on Luminous

On 8/21/22 04:31, Chris Smart wrote:

<snip>

Now I'm trying to understand the cause of delay in obtaining locks.

I'd like to confirm first that when I see mds ops waiting to get locks
I assume those are locks on objects in the data pool, right? And that
this is data that a client somewhere has a lock on and is potentially
doing something with?

I assume that the MDS needs to ask the client to finish up their work
and then release the cap so that the MDS can perform a metadata
operation (without the file being changed again in the meantime), and
it just has to wait for this to happen. (Maybe it's also stuck in an
OSD ops queue).

Is that right?

See this presentation: https://archive.fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/sds_ceph_async_directory_ops/

Jeff Layton explains the client / MDS interaction. And also the optimizations that (by now) are available in newer MDS / kernel clients.

Gr. Stefan