Potential bug in cephfs-data-scan?

Hi,

I have recently been scanning the files in a PG with "cephfs-data-scan pg_files ...".

Although, after a long time the scan was still running and the list of files consumed 44 GB, I stopped it, as something obviously was very wrong.

It turns out some users had symlinks that looped and even a user had a symlink to "/".

It does not make sense that cephfs-data-scan follows symlinks, as this will give a wrong picture of what files are in the target PG.
I have looked though CEPHs bug reports, but I do not see anyone mentioning this.

Although I am still on the recently deprecated Octopus, I suspect that this bug is also present in Pacific and Quincy?

It might be related to this bug?

https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/46166

But symptoms are different.

Or, maybe there is a way to disable the following of symlinks in "cephfs-data-scan pg_files ..."?

Best,
Jesper

Jesper Lykkegaard Karlsen
Scientific Computing
Centre for Structural Biology
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
Aarhus University
Universitetsbyen 81
8000 Aarhus C

E-mail: jelka@xxxxxxxxx