Re: Looking for Companies who are using Ceph as EBS alternative

On 8/18/22 19:46, Abhishek Maloo wrote:
Hey Folks,
  I have recently joined the Ceph user group. I work for Twitter in their
Storage Infrastructure group. We run our infrastructure on-prem. We are
looking at credible alternatives to AWS EBS(Elastic Block Storage) on-prem.
We want to run our OLTP databases with remotely mounted drives. My research
led me to this project - Ceph.

I am looking for advice on your experiences of running Ceph as a Block
device / Posix provider. Do we have companies in this community who are
using Ceph as an AWS-EBS(Elastic Block Storage) replacement? I would deeply
appreciate any contact with such people.

Most people on this list use RBD if I would guess, but not all. Some mainly use it for either RGW (S3 / Swift) or CephFS (shared posix file system).

IMHO RBD is the most simple to use Ceph service of all. Just create an image (rbd create rbd/image_name --size 10T), map it on a linux system (rbd map rbd/image_name) and put an fs on it (mkfs.yourfsofchoice /dev/rbd0). If you have good compressible data you can have Ceph compress it for you, or you could use ZFS (I would recommend this) and have it do compression on fs level (zstd). Profit.

If you need highly resilient scalable block storage I would look no further (yes, I'm biased).

Gr. Stefan