cephfs blocklist recovery and recover_session mount option

Hello

I'd like to understand what is the proper/safe way to recover when a cephfs client becomes blocklisted by the MDS.

The man page of mount.ceph talks about recover_session=clean option, but it has the following text I am not sure I am interpreting correctly:

"After reconnect, file locks become stale because the MDS loses track of them. If an inode contains any stale file locks, read/write on the inode is not allowed until applications release all stale file locks."

Does "application" in this context refer to the cephfs kernel client or a user space process?

Does this mean that if the application terminates while the client is blocklisted without releasing locks, the locked inodes (and the files they belong to) become inaccessible forever?

Is reboot the only safe way to deal with blocklisting, assuming applications were writing to files when it happened?

Thanks very much

Vlad