ceph -s command hangs with an authentication timeout

Hi All,

So, I've been researching this for days (including reading this mailing-list), and I've had no luck what-so-ever in resolving my issue. I'm hoping someone here can point be in the correct direction.

This is a brand new (physical) machine, and I've followed the Manual Deployment instructions from the Ceph Documentation (https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/install/manual-deployment/) to the letter, except I'm using a different UUID and a different IP Address. I've even used the sample ceph.conf file (with the proceeding changes, of course).

My issue is when I reach Step 19 (sudo ceph -s) the command hangs for 300 seconds and then returns  'monclient(hunting): authenticate timed out after 300'.

This is using Ceph Quincy on el8.

Doing a 'ps aux | grep ceph' tells me that ceph-mon is running, as does the logs.

As far as I can tell every file and directory had the correct owner (ceph:ceph) and correct file permissions - and even the correct firewall settings (although as I'm running on this machine's console directly the firewall shouldn't be an issue).

So if the "official" documentation is throwing this error, can someone please tell me what's wrong?

Thanks in advance

Dulux-Oz