Re: RGW Multisite Sync Policy - Flow and Pipe Linkage

On 7/28/22 22:41, Mark Selby wrote:
We use Ceph RBD/FS extensively and are starting down our RGW journey. We

have 3 sites and want to replicate buckets from a single "primary" to

multiple "backup" sites. Each site has a Ceph cluster and they are all

configured as part of a Multisite setup.

I am using the examples at

https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/radosgw/multisite-sync-policy and have

gotten a directional sync to work using the below commands.

The question I have is about the scalability of what I am doing. How

groups/flows/pipe all fit together is not very clear in the docs.

My group 'us' has two flows, 'dev1-to-dev2' and 'dev1-to-dev3'.

The pipe that I create specifies the group 'us' but does not specify the

flows to us. I have to assume in this case it uses all of the flows at

the zonegroup level. This is fine as long as these are the only flows

that I will ever need.

yes, in your setup, it uses the flows created for the group "us" (zone-group level).

What I am try having difficulty understanding is the linkage between

pipes and flows. If any one can explain this more than the docs do, it

would be greatly appreciated.

A data-flow defines the flow of data between the different zones (either symmetrical or directional) where as a pipe defines actual buckets that can use these data flows [1]

FWIU, pipes use the data-flows associated with their group policy or inherits the ones configured at zone-group level.

i.e.,

* if the group policy is created at zonegroup level (like in your setup 'us'), pipes of that group use the flows associated with that <group-id> ('us'). If no flows are configured, the sync is not allowed.

* In case if the group (say, 'us-bucket') is created at bucket-level,  the data-flows (if any) created for that group ('us-bucket') should be subset of what zonegroup level policy ('us') allows. And that group policy ('us-bucket') pipes use the flows in the following order

(a) the data-flows created for that bucket-level group policy ('us-bucket')

(b) if no flows are created, it then inherits the data flow allowed at zonegroup level ('us').

Hope this helps!

-Soumya

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/radosgw/multisite-sync-policy/