Re: How suitable is CEPH for....

> I'm reading and trying to figure out how crazy
> is using Ceph for all of the above targets [MySQL]

Not crazy at all, it just depends on your performance needs.  16K I/O
is not the best Ceph use case, but the snapshot/qcow2 features may
justify it.

The biggest problem I have with MySQL is that each connection uses a
single CPU core.  Combine this with poor 16K performance, and it's
tough to get good performance unless there are a lot of users.

Mass loading of data is particularly agonizing on MySQL, especially on
Ceph.  The last time I had to do a mass import, it was much faster to
copy the rbd to a local drive partition and run my VM there for the
import and then copy the block device back to the rbd.  This is
because you can use qemu-img to copy the block device with a large
block size and up to 16 threads which can move multiple terabytes an
hour.

My MySQL database is almost always CPU bound and never more than ~20%
iowait, so it can run on Ceph fairly well.

Mark