Re: Ceph Octopus RGW - files vanished from rados while still in bucket index

There is no known bug that would cause the rados objects underlying an RGW object to be removed without a user requesting the RGW object be deleted.

There is a known bug where the bucket index might not get updated correctly after user-requested operations. So perhaps the user removed the rgw object, but it still incorrectly shows up in the bucket index. The PR for the fix for that bug merged into the octopus branch, but after 15.2.16. See:

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/45902

So it should be in the next octopus release.

I also find it odd that a 250KB file gets a multipart object. What do we know about the original object? Do we know it’s size? Could the multipart upload never have completed? In that case there could be incomplete multipart entries in the bucket index, but they should never have been finalized into a regular bucket index entry.

Are you willing to share all the bucket index entries related to this object?

Eric
(he/him)